During the weekend of the 9th December, we were put onto Standby on the Saturday afternoon at 2pm. Drivers checked their vehicles, the equipment they carry and prepared themselves for the snow whilst our controllers checked all their equipment including the radios and IT system.
When the snow fell, the jobs started coming in thick and fast and drivers were being despatched all across the Worcestershire & Gloucestershire area from around 7am on Sunday morning. Journeys included collecting nurses and care workers from Wolverhampton, Worcester, Stourport, Stroud, Cirencester, the Forest and north Cotswolds and taking them to and from facilities in Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, whilst also ensuring the safety of other road users by removing fallen branches and trees that could cause a danger on the road.
In total, 121 jobs were completed by 24 drivers, and whilst the mileage has not yet been calculated its fair to say that it is likely to be in excess of 2,500 miles driven!
- 6 Sep; Daily Post “Festival No 6 organisers ‘not warned’ against using flood risk site for park and ride“
- 29 Jun; Somerset Live: 4×4 teams help punters out of car parks
- 27 Jun; BBC Points West “Super heroes of Glastonbury Festival car parks”
- 10 Mar; Worcestershire County Council Letter of Thanks
- 16 Feb; Sunday Times Driving Supplement “How those affected by UK floods are being rescued by 4×4-driving heroes”
- 11 Feb; BBC Midlands Today “Worcester holding firm”
- 10 Feb; BBC Radio Gloucestershire Anna King interview with Ron, GR63
- 26 Jan; Improved access to 4×4 support for Gloucestershire Local Health Resilience Partnership
- Dec 13; Worcestershire Voluntary & Community Sector 4×4 Volunteers Ready to Respond
- 21 Oct; GW4x4R Annual Training Day
- 18 Jan; Worcestershire County Council Staff Beat Snow To Provide Social Care
- 18 Jan; Redditch Standard Staff praised for keeping hospitals going
- 26 Nov; Awarded a grant from BT for Community Cohesion
- 28 Jun; Andrew Turner MP Letter of Thanks for Isle of Wight Festival 2012
- 25 Jun; ITV Meridian GW4x4R assists with Isle of Wight Festival in national call-out after rain creates a mud bath.
- 22 Dec; Worcestershire News “Worcestershire battles on through the snow”
- Jan 10; Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust Working through the big freeze
- Jan 10; Worcestershire County Council works with county volunteers to keep critical services running
- 5 Feb; Gazette and Herald “Emergency services in Wiltshire pushed to limit”
- Jul 07; GW4x4R provides support to Red Cross during floods